The Supreme Court on Friday allowed construction of President Trump’s proposed White House ballroom to continue for now, lifting a lower-court injunction that had paused the project while legal challenges proceed.
The administration says the addition is needed for hosting and security purposes. Independent estimates cited in reporting put the cost to taxpayers at at least $300 million, though some investigations have reported higher figures. Trump has repeatedly said taxpayers would not pay for the work.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued to stop the construction, arguing the president must obtain congressional approval to build over the former East Wing — the side of the complex that housed first lady offices. The nonprofit told the court that allowing work to go forward now would effectively undercut judicial review, saying the administration appears to be trying to “outrun” the courts by accelerating construction.
In a short order signed by Chief Justice John Roberts, the Supreme Court stayed the lower-court injunction that had paused the project, permitting construction to continue while the legal dispute continues through the courts.
The planned ballroom would add roughly 90,000 square feet to the White House complex — a footprint critics note is about twice the size of the main White House structures. The administration has described a range of national-security features planned for the site, including underground shelters, a medical facility, elevated observation positions and a drone port.
The legal fight has moved back and forth through the federal courts. In March, Republican-appointed U.S. District Judge Richard Leon ruled that construction must stop unless the work was limited to safety- and security-related additions. The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals later allowed some construction to proceed temporarily. Judge Leon then clarified that below-ground work could continue but above-ground construction should be blocked. The administration sought emergency relief from the Supreme Court, which granted the stay.
Trump praised the high court’s decision on his social platform, calling the project the “Military/Ballroom Complex” and describing it as vital for national security.
Construction began last July and has led to closures on the north side of the White House grounds and parts of Lafayette Park that had been open to the public. Polling has shown public opposition: an April Washington Post–ABC News–Ipsos poll found a majority of Americans disapproved of tearing down the East Wing to build the ballroom.
Reporting contributed by NPR’s Emily Feng.