Vietnamese state media say Typhoon Kalmaegi has killed at least five people after striking central and highland provinces, bringing heavy winds and rain that damaged thousands of buildings. The storm made landfall on Thursday evening and caused widespread destruction across the region.
Authorities reported nearly 57 houses collapsed and the roofs ripped off about 3,000 more. Eleven boats sank and power lines were knocked down. Dak Lak, Quang Ngai and Gia Lai provinces were among the hardest hit, with the government reporting five deaths and seven injuries as of midday Friday local time.
More than 8,000 people have been evacuated from affected areas. Power outages have cut electricity to roughly 1.28 million households, according to state reports. The government said it had mobilised more than 268,000 soldiers to assist with search-and-rescue and relief operations.
The US embassy in Hanoi issued a travel advisory warning of coastal waves of 4–8 metres (13–26 ft) and gusts up to about 135 km/h (84 mph) in parts of the country. Vietnam’s weather forecaster says Kalmaegi has weakened to a tropical storm and is moving toward neighbouring Cambodia and Laos.
Earlier in the week Kalmaegi tore through the central Philippines, where officials reported at least 188 deaths and about 135 people still missing after heavy rains and flooding. Philippine authorities have warned the toll may rise as recovery and search efforts continue.
Vietnam and the Philippines lie along the Pacific typhoon belt and are regularly exposed to tropical storms and typhoons, especially during peak season. Local and national authorities continue search, rescue and recovery operations as assessments of damage and needs proceed.